Start/Stop/Transfer Service

Apply for Service

To apply for service from Coosa Valley Electric Cooperative, please use one of the applications provided below.

Online Membership Application

  • We now have a very easy-to-use Online Residential Membership Application
  • Simply click the appropriate link below and fill in all requested information
  • Individuals applying for service will need to provide:
    • A copy of a photo ID, preferably a driver’s license
    • Directions to the property
    • The 8-digit meter number located on the data plate of the meter (not the meter reading)
Online Residential Membership Application

Downloadable Application

  • For those using the print version of the Residential Membership Application, you will need to print the form and complete it
  • You can mail the application to the address below or visit our office during business hours
  • We require the meter number from the service location to ensure that our records are accurate
  • For questions about the application process, you may email us or call: (256) 362-4180 or (800) 273-7210, option 3.
Downloadable Residential Membership Application (PDF)


Email Us

Mail To

Coosa Valley Electric Cooperative
Attn: Membership Application
PO Box 837
Talladega, AL 35161

Office Location

69220 Alabama Highway 77
Talladega, AL 35160

 Disconnect or Transfer Service

Please use this form if you are disconnecting service or if you are transferring your account from one service location to another.

  • If someone else is taking over the service, you need only fill out the “Disconnecting Service” and “Final Billing Address” portions of this form
  • The person who will be taking over the service must contact our office to apply for that service
Disconnect or Transfer Service Form